Saturday, April 07, 2007

Kid's Carnival











How do I get drug into these things? They always sound like so much fun. Today Zander and I went to the Kid's Carnival at the Greensboro Coliseum. I thought if we arrived when it opened that there wouldn't be many people there and the lines wouldn't be long. Wrong!!! It is only 39 degrees and the wind is blowing like crazy. There was such a long line that we had to stand out in the freezing cold for about 10 minutes while they let people in.
Once inside, I look around and instantly saw that this was an event for 5-12 year olds. Now, they had marketed the event as a whole family event so I was disappointed. I saw 4 rides that Zander could ride. He did not want to ride the merry-go-round, so we went over to the dinosaurs. I put him in and to my horror, it went up in the air and around very fast. Thank heavens that when he gets on a ride, he turns into "stone boy". He doesn't move and he puts on this very serious face. (Pictures to come later) When he got off I was afraid that he wouldn't want to ride anything else.
Next, he saw the helicopter rides. We stood in line for about 10 minutes. When it was our turn the man that was running the rides tapes up a homemade sign that says "No one over 150 lbs." I was horrified! What do I do? I obviously can't get on and Zander is not getting on this ride by himself. Well, the woman in front of me said, "I guess my daughter will be riding by herself." She let the man put her on the ride. Well I decided that I was getting on that ride. When we got to the man, he looked at me and said, "he is too short for this ride". I said, "there are other children on the ride that are shorter than he is and you didn't measure any of them." I held my breathe as he began to speak, he said, "Well, you are too tall for the ride". Was I going to push the issue and make him tell me in front of everyone that I was too fat for the ride? While I was deciding, the lady in front of us asked Zander if he wanted to ride with her little girl. He decided that he did not want to ride if Mommy couldn't ride. I was saved. We got out of line and went to the next disappointment.
We then went to one of the many jumping things. He wanted to get in which surprised me because he had a bad experience at a birthday party on one with some big kids and usually doesn't want to get in. He got in and climbed over the first hump. As I was encouraging him to go over the next rock wall type hump, I realized that he wasn't going to be tall enough to get through the next section and guess what?!! No one over 150 lbs. is allowed in again. You have got to be kidding me. Why did I pay for a ticket? I can't do anything. So, when he got close enough to me, I grabbed him and pulled him out.
He was able to ride the train and a dog. Next, we went outside to the pony rides. He rode a pony named Andy and had a ball. Then we bought some carrots and fed the goats and Camels. He loved that. He really wants a baby goat. I would get one for the backyard, but I am afraid that our neighbors would eat it. All in all, it was a fun day. We were really cold so we decided to go home.
We did also go by the local hardware store to view the chicks and ducks that were dyed colors. That was Zander's favorite part of the day. They are so cute. I had to resist the urge to bring home baby ducks. I have done that and will not do it again. Happy Easter!

No comments:

Post a Comment